I read "Flowers for Algernon" as the assignment for the other subject. Most people say that this novel makes them cry. But I had an impression different from other people.Honestly, I was getting angry to the author who made this story up reading it. Because, I couldn't help feeling that the main character Charlie Gordon is always condemned.
Charlie who had mental retardation (To lag of development of the spirit, and difficulty of studying and intellectual endeavor) was changed to a genius having a high IQ by the scientific elites. He was always teased and mocked before. He thought that he would be loved by everyone if he gets as smart as other people. The scientists told him "If this experiment succeeds, we would be able to help retarded people like you in future," and made him undergo brain surgery. They understood that this experiment had various risks, but they left success of the experiment to him. He always had a genial smile no matter how he was ridiculed. However, that reason isn't only that he had a soft heart. That is because he didn't realize that he was laughingstock. Although, people said "You was a good person before" to Charlie who changed to a genius and was suffering between a high intelligence and infantile emotion. I thought that he had done nothing wrong. I also couldn't understand the thinking of his mother who abandoned him. Does such mother exist? Would I have a hate to the child like her if my child would be born with a handicap? I got scary thinking that. I made up my mind to never become like her.I want to become a mother who can get a pleasure and meaning of the child's birth with a destiny.
If Charlie Gordon exist, would he live a life like this story? Is human a heartless living thing as this story says? I don't think so. There must be love and kindness among human relations. At least, I want to be a person who has them. I think it was right that this story's a fiction. If it is a non fiction, I would be sorrowful.
I haven't ever read novels so much. Most novels I read are beautiful stories that gives me love and wishes. I've shocked because I've read the novel that has no wishes like this "Flowers for Algernon" for the first time. That is because I might lack something. But I could get the chance to think what we should be through Charlie Gordon's lonely life.
425 words (total 9534 words)
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿